Re: Re:Re:RE: RE: Political ads with phone numbers

From: "Dave Faneuf" <tklaundry@juno.com>

>    ...but I think I can count on one hand the number
> of news stories written or broadcast about them in a NEWS context.
> Something that was more than a daily occurrence for O'Brien and Romney.

Is it really news when a candidate with 1% speaks at a nursing home in
Attleboro?

> You are right and wrong.  It is the media telling us be it through news
> coverage, lack of news coverage or ad time......you are correct about the
> lack of deep pockets in their various parties and lack of ability to play
> with the "big boys" but as I posted somewhere else, it's a Catch 22.
> Without the support there is no funding, without the funding there is no
> support.

And the age old question...how do you break a Catch 22?

> > Now, to round out this discussion about broadcasting...do you think
> > the 3
> > minor party candidates should've been at ALL the debates???  Do you
> > think
> > broadcast outlets should invite all the candidates to every debate?
> > JP
>
> Yes, when voters get to the polls all the names are on the ballot are
> they not?

But it's the candidates job to..

1.) Gain popularity

2.) Get their message out

3.)  HAVE a  message that resonates.

It's not the media's job to "help them out" in these areas.

> I know that when I voted this morning there were names on my
> ballot that I had never even seen before and I work in a newsroom.  If
> you are qualified to get on the ballot that makes you a legitimate
> candidate IMO.

I would think the newspapers could do more in this regard...as they seem to
have the room/inventory.  And people who are interested will read the
stories that grab them.  However, in the electronic media, time/inventory is
short.  Again, it's not radio & TV's job to make the candidate popular.