Re: Jam'n 94.5 und Die Valkure

Hakim first wrote:
>> One of the girls' cell phone rang. She had The Ride of the Valkyries
>> from Richard Wagner's opera Die Valkure programmed in for a ring
>> tone...geeze, what a combo, just back from The Monster Jam and she
>> has her cell playing Wagner...

then Garrett replied:
>I would be surprised, no SHOCKED, I TELL YOU, if the girl had any clue
>who Richard Wagner was, or even that her ring tone was appropriated
>from a famous (or perhaps infamous) opera.  She's probably heard the
>theme more as production music on TV than in its original form.

Or, lest we forget: "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit..."

(For those who don't get the reference, "The Ride of the Valkyries"
and quite a few other snippets from that same Wagner opera were used
liberally by Chuck Jones and co. for the classic Warner Bros. cartoon
"What's Opera, Doc?", featuring Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd.  It wouldn't
surprise me at all if the girl in question heard of it from there; I
know that's where I heard it first...)

-Shawn Mamros (big Bugs fan)
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu