Re: Oldies Radio and 50s music (was Re: boston-radio-interestdigest)

Howard Replied:

>Actually, "Please Love Me Forever" is late-'60s
>Vinton -- '67, if I recall correctly. But it
>certainly has the same sound as his earlier hits
>and definitely would sound out of place on 103.3.

A (scholarly) quote from Bobby Vinton's bio says:
Often he updated quaint 1960-era pop tunes such as "Halfway to Paradise," "Take God Care of My Baby," and "Sealed With a Kiss." A couple of these, "Please Love Me Forever" and "I Love How You Love Me," made the Top Ten, which was quite an anachronism in 1967 and 1968.

Actually, I must both disagree & agree with your statement.  Yes, it would sound "out of place", but that's partially the fault of the station.  When you prune your core playlist to the bone and severely narrow your focus, then almost anything CAN sound "out of place."  Occasional addition of "spice" in the form of "showcased" music e.g. Thursday Night Countdown, Superstars of Motown Weekend or a "Lost 45's" weekend (not Barry Scott, but 1 or 2 songs an hour not regularly aired on Oldies 103.3) keeps the musical spectrum wider and (hopefully) trains <g> the listener to be more accepting of songs that don't sound exactly like the core 25.

Roger