RE: monopoly definition

On 16 Oct 2002 at 17:52, Paul Hopfgarten wrote:

> I think the anti-trust exemption prevents a 2nd Baseball "organization"
> from forming at the top level.

Well, it doesn't prevent it legally, but it may prevent it as a practical matter.  There have been
attempts to form a third major league.  There was something called the Federal League for a
couple of years around World War I.  There was also something called the Continental
League, which was announced sometime in the late 50s, but it never actually came to bat.
This was followed a year or two later by the century's first expansion teams.