Re: Re: WATD

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:12:49 -0400 "Paul Hopfgarten" <paul@03038.com>
writes:

> Also, I believe many more listeners (as a % of ADI) were in
> 'tighter' to the
> 'core city' than they are today. I live in Derry NH, and MOST of the
> residents grew up within 20-25 miles of Boston, so when they were
> growing up
> they were actually CLOSER to 590 and 1510, so more acceptable to
> listen to.

dave writes:
Back in the 60's Derry was a one horse town, I know I used to go to the
chiropractor in Derry (Illegal in Mass back then)
I grew up in Lowell, which believe it or not at one point (granted,
pre-radio days) had a larger population than Boston.  WMEX was completely
unlistenable in Lowell but WEEI had a following and no one outside the
business knew or cared that they weren't 50k.  You could get other
signals in Lowell from Boston,  WEZE to name just one off the top of my
head, but very few people listened.  It comes down to have a good product
people will buy.
df