WCCM Closes Lowell Studio

   While taking my lunchtime walk through downtown Lowell Friday, I observed
some folks from Costa-Eagle Broadcasting cleaning out the equipment and
furnishings from the WCCM (800 Lawrence) storefront Lowell stidio at the
corner of Merrimack and John Streets. They were putting the stuff into the
"Impacto 1490" van. (WHAV 1490 Haverhill). I walked by again on my way back
from lunch, the former studio space was empty and the WHAV van gone.

    That studio didn't get that much use IMHO. The studio came about when
WCCM pledged to serve Greater Lowell after WLLH's sale to Mega and resulting
flip to Spanish. Bob Ellis did an occasional Lowell talk show from there,
plus they covered the Lowell Christmas Parade from there one year. So much
for their commitment to Lowell.

    However, we may soon see storefront radio in Downtown Lowell again.
According to an article in Thursday's Lowell Sun, Gary Frascarelli (a/k/a
Gary Francis) is currently ironing out plans to open another Gary's Ice
Cream location at 262 Merrimack St. (about 2 blocks away from the former
WCCM storefront). If all goes well, Gary's hoping to be in the downtown
store by August. In addition to offering ice cream,candy and cookies year
round, he's also planning on setting up a storefront studio for the
"Afternoon Live" weekday afternoon talk show on WCAP (980 Lowell) that Gary
co-hosts with Ryan Johnston.I would also guess that other special event
coverage can originate from Gary's window. Beats standing on a cold platform
for Christmas Parade coverage!! I'm sure that studio will get more use in a
month than WCCM's former Lowell set up got in a year!!

Maybe Wintertime Sock Hops in Downtown Lowell?? I can hear Gary
saying....".I don't think so!!!" (Due to Lock Monsters Saturday night hockey
games from October to March).

Mark Watson