Re: NPR says: don't link to our web site

--- Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
> The former is utter nonsense; the latter is probably
> a legitimate
> exercise of NPR's copyright, at least within the
> bounds of whatever
> shreds of Fair Use remain.  (To wit: the appearance
> of the NPR Web
> pages is certainly subject to copyright; putting one
> of those pages in
> a frame with additional material could be considered
> as creating a
> derivative work.  A URI is purely functional and not
> subject to
> copyright.)
>
> -GAWollman

I seem ro remember reading about cases on this issue
and as I remember it, Garrett is generally correct.
But I seem to remember at least one court found that
links to internal pages on a website can be copyright
infringement.  The idea is that the owner has the
right to route people through a cover page or pages.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine