RE: WBZ & WRKO - No Audio

At 02:50 PM 6/25/2002, you wrote:
>I heard the tail end of the outage on WBZ.  They returned to the air at
>about 1:59 in the middle of a commercial.  Jay McQuade came on at 2:00
>and did an almost legal ID "This is WBZ IN Boston."  He stated that they
>were off the air due to a construction mishap near the studios and still
>had no phones in the newsroom.  They were also unable to play the CBS
>Marketwatch feed due to the outage.
>
>My question would be if this was a phone line outage to the transmitter
>in Hull as Jay stated, why didn't they get back on the air via their
>backup at the studio?
>
>Keith Fornal
>Treasurer
>Dutch Island Lighthouse Society
>www.dutchislandlighthouse.org

Maybe it didn't work?   WBUR recently tried to go to the backup TX at the
BU-LAW tower and discovered it didn't work, and nobody noticed b/c the
Newton transmitter had run perfectly for years - no need to try the
backup.  Oops!

I've heard "WXYZ in Somewhere" be cited as an acceptable Legal ID...even
though the official rule is: 73.1201
http://www.hallikainen.org/cgi-bin/section.pl?section=73.1201
(b) Content. (1) Official station identification shall consist of the
station's call letters immediately followed by the community or communities
specified in its license as the station's location: Provided, That the name
of the licensee or the station's frequency or channel number, or both, as
stated on the station's license may be inserted between the call letters
and station location. No other insertion is permissible.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels.com Technical Consulting
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron
"I'm weird, but around here it's barely noticeable."