RE: WBPS-AM 890 Transmitting Unmodulated Carrier

Except during the transitional period when the Sewell
St, Ashland site was being converted from 1060 to 890,
WBPS has used the same facilities at night. The day
pattern was just recently slightly modified, however.
Radiation out the back of the array--toward Worcester--
was increased a fair amount. The depth of the null to
the north that protects WMVU was reduced somewhat; by
symmetry, the null to the south was made less severe;
and the signal due east, toward Boston, was reduced but
very slightly. Overall, the augmented pattern RMS
increased by several percent--enough that the station
can now claim to be radiating the equivalent of slightly
more than 50 kW by day from an antenna having the Class
B minimun=m efficiency of 281.7 mV/m/kW @ 1 km.

There is something odd about the nighttime
augmentations. The augmentation centered at 90 degrees
(due east), increases the field in that direction by
something like 80% of the unaugmented value. This is a
very large augmentation in line with the pattern
maximum. Usually, when you see such large augmentations,
they are in nulls. I suppose this could be the result of
a railroad tower that is nearly due east of the array,
in the vicinity of 1/2 wavelength east of the farthest-
east tower, and probably not detuned. But it could also
be the result of, umm, optimistic proofs of performance
aimed at saving the (then) station ownership the cost of
changing the COL from Dedham to Wellesley. The COL
change had been applied for because, presumably, the
nighttime interference-free signal did not cover enough
of Dedham. After the proofs were completed, however, the
application was withdrawn. Despite the similarity of the
day and night patterns, the day pattern has no
corresponding augmentation.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205