Re: Fwd: Talk Radio (was LTAR)

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:42:18 -0400 Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com>
writes:
> Umm, as somebody who sort of knows the inside story on this one, it
> seems  to me to be a fund-raising ploy, and not a very honest one,
given
> that it  feeds into anti-Semitic myths about "Jewish money" and "Jewish

> influence on the media".  NPR gets hammered on a regular basis by
hundreds of
> advocacy  groups who dislike its stands on various issues, and people
threaten
> to  with-hold their pledges if they don't like a certain stance the
> local station takes.  So what?  Nobody is forcing anybody to give.  But
> was a  bit puzzled why NPR suddenly went public with the 'story' that
two
> Jewish  business executives had cancelled their support of NPR due to
their
> belief  that NPR is pro-Palestinian in their middle-eastern coverage.
> Rather than  debate whether NPR/WBUR is or is not anti-Israel (I happen
to agree
> that  often their coverage is slanted and that some pieces more so than

> others;  see www.camera.org for their take on this issue), I am more
curious
> about  why WBUR's strategy seems to be going to Emily Rooney's show,
> "Greater  Boston" and putting out the story that now WBUR is suffering
and
> it's all  because of... well they never do come out and say "the Jews"
but
> they use  enough coded language to get the point across.  Call me
> hyper-sensitive,  but that's how it looks to me.  Oh, and plenty of
other groups are
> still  supporting WBUR.   Also, not all Jewish people with-drew their
> support, and  as for the two businessmen who did, that was their
decision and why
> is it a  news story?

Ya know, at first I wrote a very long response to this taking it point by
point.  Then I sat back and said, no, Emily Rooney can defend herself
since if this was nothing more than an anti-semitic fundraising ploy that
 Emily's went along with, then it calls her professionalizm and
credibility into question like I have never heard questioned before.
df