Re: Re:WGBH

At 10:08 AM -0400 6/11/02, Aaron [Bishop] Read wrote:

>The Canadian border theory is a good one...I would add to the mix
>that non-comm allocations are not determined solely by contours,
>there's the wonderful world of negotiated interference in there,
>too.  Quite possibly they're protecting someone to the north (one of
>NHPR's stations I'd guess) by dropping power...or protecting WZBC on
>90.3 (which is only 6-7 miles from FM-128)

I don't think that Boston is close enough to the Canadian border for
this to be a factor for an FM station.  According to the FM Atlas,
the only other stations on 89.7 in New England are in Calais, ME, and
a low power station (9 watts) in Somers, CT.  The nearest other
station is in Kingston, NY, which could under some conditions, I
guess, be effected by GBH moving to the west.

>Not all that curious, it's a quirk of the rules that Class C
>licenses were never allowed in New > England or southern CA
>(spectrum too crowded) but WGBH was always grandfathered as a
>"super" Class B so it wouldn't look like the FCC was saying "No
>Class C's, except for this one"

I always thought that these station classifications only applied to
the commercial part of the FM band.  Am I incorrect, or is it
possible that they are applied differently in the non-commercial band?

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH