Re: Stupid move 'GBH (Re: BUR-GBH)

Pete: If you check the FCC's public FM database, it
calls both WGBH-FM's licensed and CP operations Class B
(not C, C0, C1, C2, or C3 and not B1--if I recall B and
B1 are the only B classes). If you specify a class
(which you don't have to do to bring up database
records), the only way to retrieve any records for 'GBH
is to specify B (with no number suffix). I could not
find the class listed in either of the two records,
however.

Now, GBH being a B makes no sense to me. Both the old
and new operations have substantially more power at
their HAAT than what I understand to be the maximum for
Class Bs.

To do a reasonableness check, I checked out WCRB, which
is a Class B (and if you specify a Class, the record
displays only if that class is B with no number suffix).
WCRB's antenna is about 25m AAT higher than WGBH-FM's
new antenna on the WBZ-TV tower. WCRB's ERP is 8.1 kW or
less than 40% of WGBH's new power. By my calculation, if
WCRB were to move down to 323m, it would be allowed only
9.5 kW, which is still less than half of WGBH's 21 kW.

WGBH-FM will continue to be substantially more powerful
than any other FM licensed to Boston--just not nearly as
powerful as it is now. Why is WGBH making the move? I
don't know, but there must be _some_ economies in having
the two analog TVs, the two digital TVs, and the FM on
the same tower.

Infinity now owns two TVs in this market--what's the
other one?--56? I bet it galls Mel to have to pay rent
to American Tower systems for the UHF. If the FCC had
only allowed him multiple TVs in a market _before_ he
signed off on the modifications to the Channel 4 tower,
he might have had all his Boston TVs in one place. On
the other hand, where are his four FMs? (98.5, 100.7,
103.3, and 104.1) I don't think any of them are on (or
are moving to) the Channel 4 tower
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205