Re: Adjacent Frequency AM Reception

My problems is not related to geomagnetic storms or to
WEZE; it's _very_ local (I'd say within 50' or so of the
house across the street from mine) and it causes
interference (sounds like a strong open carrier) at a
number of spots on the AM dial. I've not been able to
determine that these spots are equally spaced in
frequency (so they appear not to be harmonics of some
lower frequency) and the "open carriers" don't seem to
be modulated by much hum. That is, if I heard a _real_
open carrier with that much hum on it, I wouldn't
suspect problems in the station's audio chain. Bob
Bittner described a similar problem at his house almost
40 miles away, so my guess is that each of us has a
neighbor who has some sort of equipment that puts out a
spiky spectrum with components fairly close together in
the vicinity of 1 MHz. Could it be a desktop computer's
switching power supply? It isn't either of my laptops.
The noise they produce (mostly from the inverter that
powers the display's cold-cathode fluorescent backlight)
affects AM reception only within a foot or so of the PC.

The effect on my reception of quite a few AM stations is
devastating. When WBIX is on low power during the 15
minutes between local sunset and Philadelphia sunset,
not only must I carefully position the radio to null out
the interference (a tiny rotation of the radio can make
a huge difference), I must also keep my hand firmly on
the radio in the vicinity of the ferrite-rod antenna.
This suggests that the interference has both magnetic
(inductively coupled) and electric (capacitively
coupled) components.

The problem affects not only radios in the house but
also those in my cars. However, if I drive down the
street in either direction, the interference abates
rapidly.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205