WHCN Walrus

We all know how much respect Clear Channel has for radio history, right?
So it was no real surprise when the venerable WHCN Walrus was shown the
door when the "River" format was introduced earlier this year.

Imagine my surprise, then, when somebody wearing the green walrus suit
showed up at the New Britain Rock Cats' baseball game on Sunday. Oh, the
call letters had been replaced by the Rock Cats logo, and he was being
introduced as "Blooper," but it was undoubtedly the Walrus.

Although I've only known WHCN as a boring, tired-sounding AOR (and later
classic rock) station, I understand that it was quite a trailblazing
progressive roce station in its day, and the Walrus was part of that. So
thanks, Rock Cats, for keeping a bit of Hartford radio history alive.

Howard