Re: Maine broadcasters get tax break

<<On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 01:38:53 -0400, "Chris Beckwith" <beckwith@ime.net> said:

> My first thought when Governor King vetoed the bill was that he didn't want
> to be seen as sucking up to his former (and most likely future) industry.  I
> wonder where the widespread indignation was when Maine PBS held a gun to the
> heads of Maine voters (bail us out or Big Bird gets it) with that DTV
> referendum.

In most places, non-profit corporations are exempt from sales taxes in
the first place, so it would make no difference whether they could
claim a credit for it on the income taxes that they are also exempt
from.  (I know my employer will not even reimburse me for tax paid,
except for hospitality tax paid while traveling on business, so I have
to make sure to buy things from vendors which have a record of our
tax-exempt status.)

-GAWollman