Re: non-compete

On 16 Apr 2002 at 15:17, Joe Pappalardo wrote:

> Under the Mass SJC precedent setting case that was decided ("Richmond
> Brothers vs Jerry Williams")

I believe the case is captioned "Richmond Brothers vs. Westinghouse Broadcasting
Company and Gerald Jacobi."  Who's Gerald Jacobi, you ask?  Jerry Williams, of course.

I saw the case in the late 1960s, when I was in law school.  I think I looked at it again a few
years ago, but I don't remember it that well.  My memory is that such clauses would be
enforded to the extent they were "reasonable."  In the case itself, "Jacobi" had gone to
Chicago for a few years and then returned to Boston.  There still was a year or two to go on
the noncompete, but the court ruled that WMEX had gotten enough by Jacobi's leaving
Boston for several years, and it was sure that Jacobi's current success at WBZ was due to
his own skills, and not to the name he built up while at WMEX.

Yeah, right!

> I'll bow to our resident counselor for any more interpretation...

I'm willing to answer questions off the top of my head, and if it doesn't involve too much work,
sometimes to check something out to answer a question, but I'm not willing to do that much
research unless someone pays me.