Bad Slogans (was: WROR-FM?)

Donna writes:

<snip> and in perhaps the worst slogan of all time, it says
>"WROR... we've
>got an old sound."  Boston Phoenix, 17 November 1970.  <snip>

Raises the question of the "Worst Slogans" in your memory.  I always
disliked "More Music."  Worse still, "More Music, Less Talk (or) Fewer
Commercials."  Don't tell me what I DON'T get if I listen.  As for
spots, if they're so bad, where did your paycheck come from?  And if
they "sound" bad, whose fault is that?  And "more music" without talking
was smack dab in the midst of the highpoints of high-personality rockers
like WBCN and others who were playing lots of music and you still got to
know who was in the chair.  And then comes "(blah blah blah) of the 50s,
60s, and 70s.... of the 60s, 70s and today.... of the 80s, 90s and the
old stuff too... of the (shuT......uP!)   Why not just play it, we'll
listen....or not.  (Bring on all the jive about "branding" and "idiot
listeners" and "positioning" 4 out of 5 consultants surveyed recommend
talkless radio to their clients who pay them enough, etc.)  Bottom line
is all of that stuff is too "inside baseball" for the average listener
who simply connects with the general "feel" or "sound" of the station
for the music that was/is and not for those silly reinforcement
statements.  What next? "You're sitting in a chair in your underwear
thinking Aretha.  So are we: WXYZ "  "These pretzels are making me
thirsty:  WXYZ"  Equally foolish.  Then there's always the classic,
"...if the records weren't free we'd be all news..."

Bill O'Neill