Re: WGY... bowling alley???

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 Cooper Fox <fox893@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> All of this talking about WGY has got me thinking.
> This may seem like a dumb question, but a while ago
> one of my co-workers mentioned that WGY had a
> bowling
> alley in the building...  Is this correct?  Or was
> it
> correct at one point in time?

Well, its partially correct.  It is actually WRGB(TV),
WGY's former sister television station, that has a
bowling alley in the basement of its studios (they
used to be located in the same building as each other
until the radio stations were sold off).  It is there
because, for many many years, they (WRGB) produced a
weekly bowling show called "TV Tournament Time" which
took bowlers from leagues around the Albany area, and
they competed against each other on TV.  IIRC the
program was recorded and not done live, but it ran for
almost 30 years.  I forget which year it was finally
cancelled, but I believe it wasn't cancelled until the
early 1990s, and when the show ran they advertised
that it was the longest continually running TV sport
show in the world.  But yes, at least in WGY's old
studio building, there is, in fact a bowling alley
there

                           Matt Osborne
                           Hyde park, NY