More AP Award shutouts

In looking over the list of winners in this year's AP awards, in addition
to WBZ Radio there is another station conspicuous by its absence, WRKO.

Now, while the WBZ explanation for why they didn't win anything may
satisfy someone like the radio writer for the local tabloid I don't buy
that any more than I think WRKO decided not to participate for the same
reason...

My feeling is that labor problems played a large role in both
"decisions".

WRKO has been running short staffed so why would the newsroom want to
bring attention to the fact that they can win awards while understaffed?
 If they had management in all probability would have said see, you are
an award winning staff we don't need to hire anyone else....

As for the WBZ claim that it was a decision not to win awards on the
backs of 9/11 it just doesn't hold up to inspection.

First, assume for a moment that the given reason is accurate, there are
13 non-newscast categories that are open to radio stations in the AP
awards....Not a lot of coverage of the tragedy of September 11th during
Bruins play-by-play or Sports Sunday etc.

I believe Garrett was pretty close when he speculated the folks at SFR
wouldn't pay for entries to be produced.  Remember, the writers, editors
and producers at WBZ have voted to organize and the union has asked for a
mediator.  These are the same folks that would have been tasked with
putting together the awards presentation....I figure Garrett was close
because  IF they were asked to put something together they probably said
no in protest over the lack of negotiations with management. (or,
management wanted them to do it after hours with no compensation)

Now, just to get EVERYONE on the list ticked off at me, not just the
suits at SFR, I did find it amusing that once a suit from WBZ weighed in
on the topic discussion stopped.  I wonder if all the trash talk about
Clear Channel etc would also stop if the higher ups from that firm were
members of this list and are reading every word written?

rant mode off.....for now
Dave Faneuf