WBZ-TV News on WSBK Moving to 10 PM

   It appears that the folks at WBZ-TV are throwing in the towel on their 7
PM newscast that they air on co-owned WSBK (Channel 38). It was announced
this week that they will air the final 7 PM news Friday March 29. The
following Monday, April 1 Channel 38 will air the WBZ-TV produced newscast
at 10 PM, thus giving viewers 3 newscasts to choose from at that hour. The
other newscasts are on WFXT (Channel 25) and WLVI (Channel 56). Management
cites the lower than expected ratings as well as viewers not changing
viewing habits as reasons for ending the 7 PM news broadcast. As reported in
both of Boston's daily newspapers, the Febuary ratings show that the 7 PM
news had a 2.4 rating, being trounced by most everyone else at that hour.

    Ted Wayman and Sara Underwood will anchor the new 10 PM News broadcast
on Channel 38. They currently anchor the 5:30 WBZ-TV news. 7 PM anchors Jack
Williams and Kim Carrigan will now anchor from 5 to 6 PM on Channel 4.

    My personal opinion: I don't think they gave the newscast enough time to
become established. It only made it's debut the beginning of last September.
Sounds like ratings are more important than information. Will the rerun of
"Frasier" that will take it's place garner more than a 2.4 share?

  Mark Watson