Re: CCU Interested in Xpanded Band

If CCU gets approval to move the downstate IL station to
Chicago, look for the company to try to move the unbuilt
Dover NH 1700 station to the Boston area. With the
possible exception of WWRU, which apparently has been
granted 10 kW-U DA-N, all X-Band stations are ND-U with
a maximum of 1 kW-N (into a 1/4-wave tower; one west
coast station with a taller tower has to run something
like 570W night to compensate for the higher antenna
efficiency).

The WXKS (AM) site, which CCU owns, would be ideal for
the 1700 station. There is no better site for an ND
station to reach the market by day with 10 kW and the
towers are a little over 120 degrees high at 1700. The
nighttime coverage would be better than WXKS (AM)'s,
both because of the ND pattern and because of the _much_
lower noise on 1700 compared with 1430. Except for the
fact that so few radios receive X-Band, this would be a
much better deal for CCU than the (seemingly) never-
ending quest for a TX site for WKOX's 50-kW-U operation.

Remember George Carlin's Wonderful WINO (1700 on the
dial--just above the Police calls)? Well, if you live
near Boston, Wonderful WINO might just be coming to an
AM radio near you--if you're one of the few people with
a radio capable of receiving X-Band. I suspect that 90%
of the radios that can receive X-Band are in late-model
cars.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205