Re: WHCN

on 3/9/02 8:57 PM, Howard Glazer at hmglaz@webtv.net wrote:

> I wrote:
>
>>> Once the jocks return, I think this station will find a niche..
>
> And Eli Polonsky replied:
>
>> But, I'm wondering if (or how many of them) will actually be returning.
>
>> I know they say they will be, but if CC is planning to make "River" into a
>> low-overhead largely voicetracked national format a-la their "Kiss" CHR
>> stations, I wouldn't think the future for the jocks looks too promising...
>
> Are Hartford's Kiss (WKSS) and Boston's Kiss (WXKS-FM) largely
> voicetracked? Overnights and weekends only or in high-listenership
> dayparts? I thought CC voicetracked only in its smaller markets.

"Kiss-108" in Boston is not voicetracked yet (except maybe overnights). Too
many strong longtime personalities identified with the format here in
Boston, they must know they'd lose out if they did it here.

> PS to Steve Ordinetz: WDRC-FM isn't playing BTO, except on the request
> show, but I've heard the Rolling Stones' "Tumbling Dice" and "She's a
> Rainbow" this past week. And they're playing the Doors' "Love Me Two
> Times" as I write. Kind of odd hearing that so soon after "Hold Me,
> Thrill Me ," but hey, that's why I listen!

WODS Boston is playing BTO, ABBA, and "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees is in
frequent rotation. They're playing Robert John's 1972 cover of "The Lion
Sleeps Tonight" more often than the Tokens original. The number of
pre-Beatles/pre-Motown songs (50's/early 60's) can now be counted on one
hand.

Eli