Re: WHCN

Howard Glazer wrote:

>I think CC has determined, correctly, that classic rock
>isn't going to work on a Hartford signal, not with WAQY Springfield
>grabbing ears in the northern part of the market and, to a lesser
>extent, WPLR New Haven doing the same in the southern. Do you suppose
>DRC will respond by adding more classic rock, or TIC by putting the '80s
>songs in regular rotation?

Haven't heard any Hartford radio on a little over a year, is WTIC still a
Lukewarm AC (last time I heard them they seemed a little wimpy for a true
Hot AC)?  Maybe they'll add an 80s weekend specialty show if they feel a
need to keep that image.  As for classic rock on WDRC...I doubt it very
much, aside from maybe some Fleetwood Mac or something similar.  Classic
Rock kind of sticks out on a traditional oldies station, though I've seen
mention on this list that WODS is playing BTO.  My guess is that no one is
going to react unless they need to

>I do agree about the modulation, though. CC puts the same kind of
>compression on country WWYZ. The difference is quite noticeable when you
>switch from either CC signal to WDRC-FM, which is much less punchy. I
>prefer DRC's cleaner sound, but I'm sure the CC folks have research
>numbers to back up their approach.

I wonder if XM (haven't heard Sirius yet) will change attitudes toward
compression.  While I think XM sounds a little flat & lifeless, especially
in a car--isteners may come to associate this with "better
fidelity".  Processing is more art than science, and perception is everything.