Re: Daniel Pearl

  Sean Smith wrote:

> There were several other news stories out there today (including the
Geoghan
> sentencing and the Philippines helicopter crash) which got cursory
mentions
> from CNN all evening. Certainly the death of a news reporter, especially
in
> an instance where his death could possibly change the strategy other
> reporters and media outlets take in covering the events in central Asia,
is
> a big story -- but should it have bumped everything else off the network?

  Observed from my easy chair in Lowell MA about 4:15 PM or so:

   ABC cut in with Peter Jennings anchoring a special report on Daniel Pearl
that lasted several minutes. I flipped around and noted that CBS didn't cut
in, or if they did, WBZ (Channel 4) opted not to interrupt Rosie O'Donnell's
show. NBC didn't cut into Olympic coverage, but WHDH (Channel 7) used a
split screen, left screen with "This Just In" headlining, then brief mention
of Daniel Pearl's death while speedskating ruled the right side of the
screen. CNN was doing a talk show at that time, Headline News seemed to be
doing wall to wall on it, as was Fox News.

Mark Watson