From: owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
[mailto:owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org] On Behalf Of Dan
Strassberg
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 1:50 PM
To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org; Aaron 'Bishop' Read
Subject: Re: Latest x-band receptions

The rule is five years and it's a joke. There is at least one ex-band
station that has been on the air for more than five years, WWRU (which
was
WJDM-EB Elizabeth NJ, but I think is now licensed to Jersey City). The
original WJDM was a daytimer on 1530 licensed to Elizabeth. As far as I
know, WJDM (I think it also has new calls but I don't know what they
are)
and WWRU now are separately owned. Clearly, the rule that the
standard-band
station would go dark five years after the ex-band station went on the
air
never envisioned that the licensee would divest one or the other of the
stations. In this case, I believe that the licensee divested _both_. I
don't
recall whether the original owner sold both stations separately or
whether
he sold both stations to one new owner and the new owner sold one of
them to
a third owner. Regardless, the precendent has been set of not taking the
standard band-station dark. Very few standard-band stations will go dark
as
a consequence of putting an ex-band station on the air. Some ex-band
stations will go dark because they can't wait for most people to have
radios
that receive ex-band. I think that, so far, only one standard-band
station
has gone dark.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net