Cousin Bob Walker

sad to note the passing today (1/31) of Cousin Bob
Walker (Willett) after a much-too long struggle with
something far too nasty for a man such as The Cousin.

he was a long-time Portland & Portsmouth radio
personality possessed of the most unassuming nature.  he
long ago checked his ego in some locker at a bus station
and forgot all about it, never looking back.

his gentle, caring being will be missed.

there are others on the list who might be better
qualified than i to share his c/v.  my knowledge of
Cousin Bob began with his return to Portland, to take
over mornings at WGAN in the early 80's, from a long run
on the WOKQ morning show.

he left radio to pursue another of his life's loves: the
sea.  Cousin Bob became "Cap'n Bob," skippering pleasure-
tour craft around Portland Harbor and Casco Bay.

some of us "old Portland radio warhorses" got together
for burgers'n'brews this past fall, among us was The
Cousin.  although weakened to the point of needing a
wheelchair, his casual, warm voice remained, as did his
smile and spirit.

rest easy, Cousin.  as many of us have noted today, we
hope you are in a better place.

i understand from Tom Hennessey that services will be
here in Portland on Monday (wake) with a funeral
scheduled for Tuesday.  more details will probably be
available at pressherald.com in the morning.

- -Chuck Igo