Re: ratings

> Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:00:23 -0500
> From: anastasi@javanet.com
> Subject: Re: ratings
>
> You mention that WHRB has a commercial license, yet they operate as a
> non-commercial station in the commercial end of the dial (such as WRBB).  Do
> they operate as a non-comm by choice?  If so, why don't they have a
> non-commercial license?  Forgive my ignorance, but I'm very confused.

The story I heard (which may not be completely accurate) was that when
Harvard put WHRB on the air they decided at the time that it was more
economical for them to provide their station with a commercial license so
that they could solicit their own income rather than to provide them with a
certain amount of regular funding (from student activities funds, or
wherever) as most other colleges do.

As of the early 90's, I believe they still never had any regular funding
from Harvard. I don't know whether that situation changed with their moves
to new studios and antenna site in the mid 90's.

> Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:56:22 -0500
> From: anastasi@javanet.com
> Subject: Re: ratings
>
> Well, then I stand corrected.  But in all my years in the Boston area, up
> until I left the area code to come "out west" in 1985, I can't remember one
> single commercial on WHRB. ... Do they run any commercials during the two
> "orgy" periods?  Do they still have the two "orgy" periods?

Yes, they do. I was involved with WHRB's six-day (and night) "Grateful Dead"
orgy, ten years ago next week. We had commercials for The Museum Of Science
Planetarium, who were running a weekly Grateful Dead music and laser light
show night at the time, and for The Pour House bar in Boston, who had a
weekly Grateful Dead music night then (pre-recorded bootleg concert tapes).

Also, check out whenever WHRB airs a Harvard sports game. They're loaded
with commercials in the breaks.

Eli