RE: ratings

> There was also an outcry from many listeners, including many
> prominent conservatives, when Newt Gingrich proposed that funding to
> public radio and TV should be cut.  <snip>
> Larry Weil

VPR's a smaller economy of scale, but they do a very good job with UW
messages.  The overall presentation of the station(s) is more laid back,
reminiscent of how WBUR once was, back when you could set the clock
radio at night to jazz. (Whatever happened to that all-night jock?  He
was good.)  I imagine that NPR rights fees are way up there, especially
for a market the size of Beantown.  I'm sure Bob Edwards doesn't come
cheap.

Bill O'Neill