RE: Question about legal IDs

<<On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:35:21 +0000, dan.strassberg@att.net said:

> I thought of WKLB-FM after I wrote my message but I was
> under the impression that the rule applied to broadcast
> stations on the same band. I thought that TVs could
> count only TV stations, FM stations only other FMs, and
> AM stations only other AMs. You are suggesting that this
> is not so. Are you sure?

Positive.  The language 47 CFR 73.1125 is unambiguous:

(a) Except for those stations described in paragraph (b) of this
section, each AM, FM, and TV broadcast station shall maintain a main
studio at one of the following locations:
    (1) Within the station's community of license;
    (2) At any location within the principal community contour of any
AM, FM, or TV broadcast station licensed to the station's community of
license; or
    (3) Within twenty-five miles from the reference coordinates of the
center of its community of license as described in Sec. 73.208(a)(1).

There's also a giant exception in (b)(2):

(2) AM, FM, or TV stations, when good cause exists for locating the
main studio at a location other than that described in paragraph (a) of
this section, and when so doing would be consistent with the operation
of the station in the public interest.

This same section also states:

(e) Each AM, FM, TV and Class A TV broadcast station shall maintain a
local telephone number in its community of license or a toll-free
number.

-GAWollman