Re: Talk Radio

On 6 Jan 2002 at 16:31, Adam Rivers wrote:

> You guys all know me. You know I'm not the ordinary 13
> year old, does anyone know a radio station director
> that might give me a shot for a trial talk radio show,
> if you don't believe i can have a good show, talk to
> me and find out for sure!!! So please email me off
> list or on list I don't care if you think someone
> might give me a shot.

Without having heard you, I suspect you could do a very good radio show.
However, there are child labor laws, which create problems with hiring
anyone that young.  There's probably a way around it, but it's something
you should consider.  At the very least, you'd probably need your
parents' agreement with your plans.

I'm sure you find this frustrating and can't wait to be old enough to be
rid of these restrictions, but that's the way it is.  If it's any
consolation to you, the older you get, the faster time seems to go by.

That said, I suspect the best way to get on the air might be to approach
some local college stations and see if they will put you on.  College
vacations and final exam time, when their regular people are unavailable,
is a good time, when they have to rely much more on alumni and other
local people who are willing and available.

Even if you can get over the hurdle of the child labor laws, as you may
have noticed from discussions on our group, jobs in radio are ever harder
to come by, and the people doing the hiring generally want someone with
experience.  Which is why I suggest you try to get on college stations
(or high school stations, if you can find any around.  There used to be
more of them than are around now.).

Also, people doing hiring will want a demo tape.  That's basically a tape
that shows how you sound doing a show.  One of the best ways to make a
demo tape is to do an actual show on a college station and record it.
Then edit it down to something useable.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope I haven't discouraged you too much.  If
anyone your age can land something like this, you can.