Re: WMTW radio switching to all news

In a message dated 12/23/01 11:09:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sven@gordsven.com writes:

<< Isn't an all-news format even more expensive than a talk format? You have
 to pay for reporters to cover stories -- 24/7 staffing, as opposed to just
 a board-op/call screener to work with the host at a talk station.>>

The format that WMTW runs is not more expensive.  They use an AP network news
feed that is run by automation and just insert limited, usually pre-recorded,
local content.  It's really terrible.  I am sure that they will not have
anything close to 24/7 staffing.

<<Would an all-news station be able to make it in Portland? >>

I doubt it.  The market is just too small.  Are there any real all-news
stations outside of the top 50 markets?

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine