Re: Re:[RadioTech] Webcast Copyright Fees

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sven Franklyn Weil" <sven@gordsven.com>
To: "Matthew Osborne" <mattosborne1976@yahoo.com>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 11:49 AM
Subject: Re:[RadioTech] Webcast Copyright Fees

> Since when did they start requiring licences to WEBCAST? I had no idea the
> "limited spectrum" argument the FCC uses to shut down pirate radio
> stations applied to the internet.

I haven't been following this thread, but I think they license in question
is a license from the copyright holder to use copyrighted material.

As for the limited spectrum issue, in ACLU v. Reno, the Supreme Court
specifically said that the major arguments for regulating the broadcast
spectrum -- limited spectrum and pervasive presence in American life -- are
NOT applicable to the Internet.  As a result, the traditional First
Amendment protections provided to print publications are applicable to the
Internet.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine