Re: Dual Frequency Day & Night

There is one station in the US at present, ethnic-
formatted WNZK, licensed to the Detroit suburb of
Dearborn Heights, MI. WNZK operates with 1 kW-DA day and
night. It's on 690 days and 680 nights and uses separate
six-tower day and night arrays at the same site.

One report I've heard says that the station uses the
Kahn Powerside modulation system--a modified single-
sideband, full-carrier modulation technique, to put most
sideband energy below the 690-kHz daytime carrier and
above the 680-kHz nighttime carrier. Thus--at least on
analog-tuned radios--the claim is that listeners do not
notice the change in frequency and do not have to retune
their radios.

In years past, Canada had at least two such stations,
but under Canadian rules, each "station" was licensed as
two stations--one operating days, the other operating
nights. One was CHIR/CHYR Leamington ON, east of
Detroit. I forget which calls were used by day and which
by night, but the daytime operation was on 710 with 10
kW and the night operation was on 730 with, I believe, 1
kW.

The other was CFGR/CFRG in the Francophone enclave of
Gravelbourg, SK. Again, I'm unclear about which calls
were used when, but the station was originally full-time
on 1290. This was when Canadian Class IIIs were limited
to 5 kW. The station applied for, was granted, and built
a 10-kW daytime facility on the much better frequency of
710, a US Class IB channel not then available for
nighttime use in Canada, but continued its nighttime
operation on 1290. For sure, that one required retuning
of radios at sunrise and sunset.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205