RE: digital tv

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, A. Joseph Ross wrote:

> On 18 Nov 2001 at 19:06, Garrett Wollman wrote:
>
> > All TVs are ``regular'' TVs, except for a few high-end Panasonic and
> > Sony units that Best Buy doesn't sell.  It's the tuners you have to
> > look at.  I think WGBY-DT is the only local DT station on air, and
> > cooking shows are not exactly going to move the equipment.
>
> What digital TV needs is some programming that isn't as good in analog TV -- something hot that
> people will want to buy digital TV in order to watch.

I think this is already happening, things like Vh1 Classic, MTVX (rock
videos) are only available where I live in Bangor via digital cable. And
premium channels like HBO, etc are only available via digital cable.

The reason i don't have digital cable is because my wonderful roomate
(whose BF is on this list but I'll mention no names) decided to announce
to me she was moving out 5 days after the rent was do and I had to cut
down my expenses........I prefer it though, I'd still have it if it was
affordable.

The question is- how much more affordable will digital cable become as
analog cable is phased out? Will the price of digital cable in 5 years,
counting in the effects of inflation, be comparable to the price of Analog
cable now? Or will it still be rediculously more?

Jeremy