Re: radio in '22/WLAN

Cooper wrote:
>I am curious to know if anyone knows of a WLAN?  It
>was a station put on the air in Houlton Maine back in
>September 1922.

As most local stations were, WLAN (whose call letters were issued
sequentially, after WLAG, WLAH, WLAI, WLAJ, WLAK, and WLAM) was owned by a
small local business-- in this case, Putnam Hardware.  It was very common
for so-called electric shops and hardware stores to open stations in
1922-3, since people were still building their own sets and these stores
had the components necessary. Radio stations were very expensive to
operate, however, and the small shops quickly got out of the radio biz as a
result.