Re: ive always wondered

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> Most of the world has abandoned the VHF-low band (Band I in ITU-R
> nomenclature) for television, so it would be possible to expand the FM
> broadcast band there down to 50 MHz.

TV Channels 1 - 13 are still used in Europe (Germany, Netherlands, etc.).
The UK abandoned it in the 1980s, I think, opting for UHF.  I think the
reason was because of interference with continental transmitters.

Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Central America and the Caribbean all use
both the NTSC VHF and UHF bands (the same system as in the USA).  However,
like in the USA, a lot of the UHF channels are empty and most of the VHF
dial is full.

--
Sven Franklyn Weil            "The needs of the many outweigh
<sven@gordsven.com>                      the needs of the few