Re: Satellite radio

On Thursday, September 27, 2001, at 03:13  AM, Joseph Pappalardo wrote:

> I think as time goes on, like most things, the cost will come down.
>
> ....as someone mentioned...maybe a luxury car manufacturer will start
> including them standard?  Maybe Direct TV will start offering it as an
> option for the home...part of their "basic" service.  Maybe part of your
> auto cell phone package...  Maybe they will strike
> a deal with AOL so that you can get your email read to you in the
> car...paid
> for in part by AOL, etc.

All of these promotions would cost the satellite providers a good chunk
of their proposed income.  If it turns out it's the only way they can
survive, they'll have to sell more ads and live with a smaller
audience.  After all, an audience who's getting their channels as part
of a cell-phone deal won't be as passionate about listening as if
they're paying $12 a month.  The result of these deals would be that XM
would not become the HBO of radio, it would be more like the USA
network, certainly alive and a competitor, but full of reruns, cheesy
commercials, and infomercials.

> Remember when VCR's were $600-700+?  My last one cost $89.

My first VCR cost almost $1000, but it lasted for over 10 years.  The
$100 VCR I bought in 1998 went out in the trash a few months ago.

Mark
mlaurence@mindspring.com