Re: 1010/1050 AM and 50kw Stations

States without 50-kW AMs (for purposes of the question,
stations with 50 kW-D only--and lower power (or no
power) at night--count as 50 kW stations)

ME, NH, VT, DE, ND, SD, KS are the ones I can think of.
(Maybe MT too if the 1180 station in Kalispell is less
than 50 kW-D.) New Jersey has the AM 640 (now Radio
Disney) in (I think) Cherry Hill; it's only 900W nights,
though. But note, thanks to superb soil conductivity,
low dial position, and a location far from any coast,
KFYR 550 Bismarck ND has the largest daytime 0.5 mV/m
coverage area of any US station. KFYR runs 5 kW DA-N.
Remember, coverage over water does not count in area
covered; if it did, KFI would probably win.

On FM, the winner for land area covered is in New
England--WHOM (as long as the station remains on Mt
Washington). If coverage over water counted, the winner
would be KPF<something--either A or K>, the Pacifica
station in Los Angeles..

As for voiceover guys, I thought that WINS and KYW used
the very talented Jim Cutler, who does (or used to do)
voiceovers for WEEI. Cutler was the production manager
for WHDH (AM) and was based in Boston. Around the time
(or maybe before) WHDH became WEEI, Cutler went into
business for himself and then moved his base of
operations to New York City, but he continued (and I
think continues) to number WEEI among his clients.

--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205