Re: Radio DXing question

On 23 Aug 2001, at 9:51, Adam Rivers wrote:

> I have a general question. Would it be fair to do DXing with an amplified
> antenna. I'm going to buy one so I can get stations from Providence and
> Boston (both are already fringely audible), because i'm sick of all the
> local stations.. they aren't as good as the ones in Providence and Boston.
> I just have that question to ask anyone who will answer for an opinion
> about DXing.

Well, a number of people have replied by telling you that amplified
antennas aren't very good.  I can't amplify on those comments.  but no
one seems to have addressed your question on fairness.  I'm not a DX
hobbyist, but so far as I understand it, whatever receiving devices you
can use to pull in a signal are fair game.

Once, back in the 1960s, when WMUA at UMass was a 10-watt
station, we learned that we had been picked up at Westover AFB.
Since it was rather hard to hear us much beyond Amherst at that time,
we were all amazed.  Then we learned that whoever had picked us up
had used some pretty fancy military equipment to do it.  We lost our
inflated respect for our 10-watt signal, but I don't see anything wrong
with his use of whatever he could to pick up the signal.

Seems to me that when you make a reception report, you usually say
what equipment you're using, which gives others a realistic picture of
what you've done.  I suppose it's a bigger achievement to pick up some
difficult DX with lesser equipment, but you use what you have.  Using an
amplified antenna, if it helps any, is no different from using a bigger
antenna or a more sensitive receiver.

I'm spending some time on this because, when you told us your age a
couple of days ago, it brought back all sorts of warm memories of my
own radio listening at your age.  I hope you're having as much fun with it
as I had.  I suspect that radio isn't as interesting as it was back then,
but on the other hand, I would have loved to have had a group like this to
access.  Then again, maybe I would have been more into computers
and less into radio.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210          lawyer@attorneyross.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503           http://www.attorneyross.com