Re: Let's Talk About Transmitters, part 2

I think what you're looking at is just the beacon.
Remember, the array is only a couple of miles from
Hanscom Field and given the wide spacing between the
towers, I'd say that there was no chance of the FAA's
granting permission to not illuminate the short tower.
It's rather amazing that the FAA (or the CAB, back in
the '40s when the array was built) didn't balk at the
location. I guess the FAA doesn't have a track record of
requiring stations in locations such as this to change
from red beacons to Xenon strobes, but you could
certainly make a case that the WRKO towers should be
strobed.

Although I never saw the 93.7 antenna on the
WLAW/WNAC/WRKO center tower, I assume that when the FM
antenna was there, it brought the tower up to the full
height (or very close to the full height) of the end
towers.