Re: did i hear this right?

Yes, you heard right. The COL is to be Watertown. WAMG's
three 280' towers at 75 Concord Ave in Lexington are
almost perfect for WSRO's night operation. The azimuth
of the line of towers differs by only 9 degrees from
that at WSRO's old site on Fitchburg St in Marlboro. The
night pattern will be quite similar to WAMG's and will
use a power of 3.4 kW. So although the night signal over
Boston won't be awe inspiring, it will be audible.

BTW, because of the greater height and hence higher
efficiency of the WAMG towers, the night signal will be
equivalent overall to what WSRO was proposing with 5 kW
at night from Hudson. The day signal will be something
else, however. Protecting first-adjacent WBET (and
perhaps also first-adjacent WSAR) requires "turning the
signal around" during the daytime and using a much lower
day power (1.4 kW). Most of the signal will go northwest
with the equivalent of only about 100W going south and
east.

I have no idea what Langer plans for programming. It's
been suggested that 1470 will simulcast WBIX 1060 which
is still a daytimer. Even if Langer builds WBIX's CP for
2.5 kW-N and gets it on the air, 1060 won't have much of
a night signal inside of Route 128, so the 1470 night
signal might be a replacement. The day signal would be
redundant with 1060, though, so maybe Langer would
broker out the station during the day. Brokered religion
would seem to be the most obvious choice. As you know,
Langer brokered 1060 to a religious broadcaster when
that station was only 500W and is still brokering
mornings on 650 to the same broadcaster.

My suggestion, which I think is more creative, is to LMA
WSRO to Clear Channel who could run it //WXKS (AM). This
would take two "half" signals with adjacent dial
positions and create, in effect, one station with a more-
or-less usable signal day and night throughout most of
the market. WXKS's 5 kW ND day signal covers the market
reasonably well, but the night signal (1 kW directional
to the east on the very noise 1430 from a site east of
the market's population center) merely covers Everett
and parts of a few adjacent communities, but not much
more. 1470's night signal would take up the slack--
inside of 128 anyhow. Even 1470's rather pathetic day
coverage would compliment 1430's.

As for how Langer pulled of the coup of getting a COL
change to Watertown--well, I guess the operation from
Lexington will meet the COL signal requirements in
Watertown. What's less clear is how he pulled off the
move given that WRCA was also granted a CP for a COL
change to Watertown. Since both stations apparently got
the COL changes on the basis of providing a first local
service to Watertown, one of them can't be first. My
money is on WSRO to get on the air before WRCA's new
night facilities (shared with WKOX) at the WUNR site.
Both Hoffman, who owns WUNR and its TX site, and the
Newton Zoning Board of Appeals are likely to have
something rather friendly to say about replacing WUNR's
two towers with five. On the other hand, WSRO's move
involves no tower construction.