RE: WBZ Reception Is Worsening

There is nothing left at the Millis site.  I think the building (and one
large wooden pole in the back) was torn down a couple of years ago.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
[mailto:owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org]On Behalf Of Donna
Halper
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 12:30 PM
To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: WBZ Reception Is Worsening

>Rob wrote--
>According to J. Leonard Batchelder, secretary of the Mass. Bay Railroad
>Enthusiasts, WBZ once had a transmitter site in Millis.

Yup.  They moved there in 1931, the same year they swapped WBZ and WBZA--
originally, WBZ was the call for the Springfield station while WBZA was for
Boston, but in March of 1931, the two were switched, and the new tranny was
to help get the station heard better in Boston-- there had been endless
complaints throughout the 20s about poor reception, and this was supposed
to fix it.  Of course, by 1941, the station's transmitter was in Hull, and
there you are.

Btw, does anything remain from the old tranny sites?  I visited the remains
of the WEEI/Edison operation in Weymouth and found very little that is
recognisable.  I am about to check out the site of the WMEX and WNAC
transmitters in Squantum, having finally gotten actual addresses, but doubt
I'll find much left.