Re: One copy of an e-mail is enough...

Garrett has made it clear that when you post to the
list, you must expect a personal copy AND a general-
distribution copy of each reply. That's a total of two
copies. You should not receive three or more copies.

It's only common courtesy to reply personally to the
sender of the original message. Unless you have
something private to say to him or her, you should cc
the list server, which then sends the original sender a
second copy of your reply. You may find the second copy
bothersome; that's unfortunate, but it takes only a
couple of seconds to delete it.

Those who subscribe to the digest version of the list
often receive the personal response as much as 24 hours
before they receive the digest issue that contains the
list copy. Since we do not, in general, know which form
of the list any list member receives, and since a reply
can precipitate additional postings, it really is
discourteous to fail to send a personal reply when
posting a reply to the list.

In the words of Walter Cronkite, "And that's the way it
is."