Re: WWZN 1510 Signal Coverage

WWZN's coverage of Acton is at best fair during the day
and nonexistent at night. In the design of the night
pattern, there was never any intent to provide coverage
much further northwest of the RX than Lexington. 1510
protects WLAC, the dominant station on 1510, with a very
deep and fairly broad null to the west-southwest. There
is also a lesser null to the north to protect a now-dark
station in Sherbrooke PQ.

It was the Sherbrooke station in particular that
necessitated siting the TX _north_west of Boston and not
west or southwest. The combination fo the high
frequency, the poor soil conductivity in New England,
and the then-existing requirement to put 25 mV/m over
the principal business district of the COL necessitated
a site only 8 airline miles from the Boston waterfront.

As for coverage maps, don't confuse coverage maps with
polar plots of field intensity vs azimuth (which is what
John Kodis' site provides--although the plots are now
badly screwed up with apparently no hope of anyone
unscrewing them). Polar pattern plots are NOT coverage
maps, although with enough information (a soil-
conductivity map the FCC curves of signal strength vs
distance with soil conductivity as a parameter), you can
use the pattern plots to construct coverage maps. In
general, the poorer the soil conductivity and the higher
the frequency, the more the pattern nulls and maxima are
de-emphasized.