Re: BBC WS stops shortwave broadcasts to US

On 10 Jun 2001,  Joseph Pappalardo wrote:

> At the same time...While SW may be dying on the vine...."International
> Broadcasting" is not going away......just finding newer distribution
> methods.  I think BBC World Service will keep creating an audio
> product...but will find it much more conducive to send out via internet,
> sattelite, cable, NPR, etc.  (My guess is they have looked at the data and
> found a more responsive audience to these newer distribution avenues than
> they've had with SW b'casting in many recent years.)

I'd be awfully surprised if the BBC didn't reache more people in the
United States through NPR than they've ever reached through shortwave.

> BTW...Is it me, or does listening to the BBC on 'BUR lack the same
> excitement of listening to it bounce across the ocean (imaginary as it might
> be).

Ah, yes.  It's much better to listen to the BBC on a fading signal that
has a lot of squawks and interference.  A clear FM sound, or even a
Webcast, less clear and reliable than FM, but superior to shortwave,  just
don't have that childhood nostalgia factor.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                        617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                     lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503      http://world.std.com/~lawyer/