From: owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
[mailto:owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org]On Behalf Of Howard
Glazer
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2001 3:34 AM
To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: BBC WS stops shortwave broadcasts to US

The Beeb isn't the first to abandon SW to the US. Switzerland blew off
the West Coast in March, will do the same to the East Coast in October,
and will leave SW completely, in favor of the Internet, by 2004.

As I see it, in these bottom-line-conscious times, SW has no hope.
Enormous power consumption; a widely scattered, unmeasurable audience,
many with no common denominator but possession of a shortwave radio; and
governments today have no overriding ideological message to convey
(China Radio International is a pale ghost of strident old Radio Peking;
and Moscow is selling air time to preachers, for goodness' sakes!).
What's the justification for any government to keep funding SW?

Howard