From: <Sptseditor@aol.com>
To: <joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com>; <dib9@gwi.net>; <tklaundry@juno.com>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2001 4:37 AM
Subject: Re: Jackass,Viacom&CBS

"Joseph Pappalardo" <joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com> writes:

> << Well, when you show a TV movie on Thursday night that shows a bunch of
kids
> lighting a homeless guy on fire...and then on Friday some kids light a
> homeless guy on fire...then there's something going on that needs to be
> discussed, (not dismissed) as easily as you seem to. >>
>
> Lemme throw my flame suit on before I respond.
>
> I don't think Dan was dismissing the issue. The point I think he was
trying to make is that parents/guardians/other half-intelligent influences
on youth should be able to reinforce to them that a.) a lot of people on TV
really are jackasses and b.) it's not wise to play Follow the Leader,
especially when watching a show such as this or some of the foolish things
they do on Road Rules, etc. (I must admit I haven't watched Jackass, so I
don't know the exact content on the show, but I can imagine...)

> Not to get on a soapbox, but lots of children nowadays are taught that
nothing they do is their responsibility. It's either the teacher's fault for
giving them too much homework, the coach's fault for having high
expectations, etc. Such is hogwash. I don't buy the argument that homes
where parents are both working can't have parental supervision -- my parents
both worked, yet one of them was always there to keep an eye out on me.
These shows aren't airing at 4 p.m. in the afternoon when the latchkey kids
are home; they're airing at 9 or 10 p.m., when parents should be home
checking out their kids' behavior in the first place.