Re: Nationals?

On Wed, 2 May 2001 00:39:00 EDT Jibguy@aol.com writes:
> Actually, the reporter was correct.  A "Puerto Rican National" is not
> in
> reference to a 'person of a 'nation' but rather an "Independentista
> Party
> Member," who believes that P.R. should be an independent nation
> (about 10% of
> the PR people believe this).  WE, up here call them "Puerto Rican
> Nationalists" because of the above.  <sarcasm on>  We don't call
> them
> independentistas in consideration of Geroge W. Bush, because most of
> us don't
> want to see him embarassed as he tries to pronounce that big word.
> <sacrasm
> off>

Again, if the story were about the PR Independence movement you would be
correct, the fact is the story was about a drug bust, and like it or not
PR voters decided not to become independent of the U-S so the use of PR
Nationals in a drug bust story is not appropriate.  It would be like
saying someone from Vermont was a Vermont National if they were arrested
on drug charges elsewhere in New England because there is a small
movement in Vermont that would like to regain its independence from the
U-S. (maybe headed by Bill O?)

df