Absolute power.......

Paul:
     With all due respect, I think your political
banner is showing.  Giving the ultimate powers to the
big broadcasters (with the passage of the Telecomm
Bill of 1996) is like allowing the inmates to run the
asylum.  Allowing the big conglomerates to have
unlimited ability to buy and sell the Public Airwaves
at will, just for the sake of getting big is NOT what
I call "serving the public interest".  It used to be
that broadcasting was a trust, not to be taken
lightly.  There were specific requirements that every
broadcaster had to abide to. What ever happened to the
"Television Code"? (Remember that joke from the NAB?)
Getting a license was a privilege, not a God given
right.  This bill has done more damage to the American
system of broadcasting than anything superseding it.
The result, the average "Joe" will NEVER (and I mean
NEVER) have the opportunity to own and operate his or
her own radio station, even LPFM.  (Fritts and his
cronies at the NAB saw to that, with the death of
LPFM.)  The auction fees (used to pay for FCC
enforcement) are so exorbitant that only a Lowry Mays
or a Randy Michaels could pay for it.  And we are
talking about major $$$$$$$$$ here.
     I've been told that in San Diego, the opening bid
for the last empty frequency (a drop-in) in that
market is worth the tens of millions of dollars.  A
friend of mine who found and re-allocated a frequency
in Washington state was unable to pay the auction fee
($25,000).  He was bumped by another applicant who
owned the other station in town.  This is in a very
small market, population less than 5,000 persons.
That is ridiculous.
     And what are stuck with, pure vanilla.  Nothing
but time tested programming dictated by the corporate
office in another part of the country.  No local
input.  The FCC is basically de-regulating itself out
of business.  The result?  But big companies get
bigger, richer and we, the listening public, LOSE.  As
for local radio........

(soapbox mode, off.....)

-Pete

=====