Re: Ch. 7 drops lead anchor Kim Carrigan

Last summer, when Carrigan's agents(Geller Media Management)
began contract extension talks with Sunbeam, I believe it
was Herald's Monica Collins who mentioned in her column that
7 was nickel-and-diming their star female anchor. Carrigan's
salary was estimated to be in low six-figures at the time.
After seven years at 7 and a huge ratings turnaround,despite
being paired up with 3 diffrent co-anchors -- RD, John Marler
and now Rady Price during her tenure, she felt that they had
to write her a much bigger check. Sunbeam is
notorious for de-emphasizing star anchors and personality-driven
newscasts. They don't pay big contracts. Period. So it's really not
a big shock she is not being renewed.(WRKO, WTKK shows today really
overplayed the whole situation. The Herald and the Globe also
blew it out of proportion like no one at 7 saw this coming).

Collins also drew a connection between Carrigan and former CH.7
news boss Joel Cheatwood saying that if things didn't work out
between Carrigan and Sunbeam, she'd end up working at 4 at some
point. Considering that Cheatwood is now a VP of news for
Viacom/CBS o&o's, I'd say it's a good bet. He has already hired
away a number of former Ch.7 producers for other CBS-owned
stations around the country.

If 4 does end up signing Carrigan, it could be a good PR move
for them and viewer credibility boost for their news organization(so
far I haven't been overly impressed with all the unproven B-talent
they've brought in from smaller markets...)

Thoughts?

-Mark